The International Town & Gown Association (ITGA) Board of Directors nomination process is designed to recruit and seek out dynamic and dedicated active voluntary professionals in service of the organization at a leadership level. The process below provides a framework for the nominating committee to conduct an unbiased and equitable assessment, consideration, and recommendation process for all potential nominees. Applicationa are due eob Monday, February 3, 2020.
B. Nominating Committee
The nominating committee will be determined by the current ITGA President and will be made up of one chair, currently on the Executive Committee, and three current Board of Director members.
C. Board of Directors Skills & Experience
For the ITGA Board of Directors to thrive and advance the organization, varied skills, experiences, and interests are needed. Considering the makeup of the board and present needs, incoming board members will be evaluated on, and should possess, the following criteria, including but not limited to:
- Understands and believes in the ITGA mission, vision, and values
- Represent diverse backgrounds/thoughts, including, but not limited to age, gender, ethnicity, race, ability, location, ideology
- Holds/has held a professional position at a municipal and/or higher education institution
- Demonstrated experience and/or competence representing a professional organization
- Ability to:
- Respect all member’s thoughts, ideas, and contributions
- Come prepared for all board meetings
- Take on and complete board tasks
- Serve as an ambassador for the organization
- Make connections, network, and advance the organization
- Nominees are expected to read and accept Article IV – Board of Directors in the ITGA by-laws posted on the ITGA website.
D. Nomination Process
The following process outlines the steps taken to reach a final recommendation for acceptance to the board of directors:
- Board of Directors inventory and priorities: During a Board of Directors meeting, a discussion around board priorities for the next one to three years and an inventory of the current board makeup will take place to provide direction and guidance for the nominating committee.
- Call for nominations: Outreach through current members, and the ITGA website, newsletter and social media will announce an opening and call for applications. Nominations can happen in two ways:
- Peer-nomination: Any current ITGA member may put forward a name of a candidate, who is also a current ITGA member, they believe would positively represent and advance the ITGA
- Self-nomination: Any current ITGA member, who would positively represent and advance the ITGA, may put their name forward to the committee.
- A call for nominations will occur on an as-needed basis and the application deadline announced as a part of the process. The nominating party is responsible for reaching out to the ITGA member they have nominated and provide the nomination application link and application deadline date.
- Application: To make a nomination, click on the form at the bottom of this page.
- Application deadline: Applications are due eob Monday, February 3rd, 2020. Only those applications received by the deadline date/time will receive full consideration by the nominating committee.
- Evaluate nomination materials: The nominating committee will review all application materials and discuss the nominees who will move forward in the process. The committee will evaluate nominees based on the criteria found under the Board of Directors Skills & Experience section.
- 6. Outreach/interview to potential board members: The nominating committee chair will contact each nominee, regarding their status, after the committee has reviewed the application materials.
- The nominating committee chair will contact nominees who have been selected not to move forward in the process to share the outcome of the review.
- The nominating committee chair will reach out to nominees moving forward in the process to setup an interview. As a part of the interview process, nominees would be required to confirm they have read and agree to the requirements for being on the Board of Directors.
- The nominating committee chair will present final nominee names to the Executive Committee to move forward for final consideration and Board of Directors vote.
E. Nomination Process to the Executive Committee
A separate process will be conducted to fill any open Executive Committee positions. In addition to the responsibilities of a Board of Directors member, Executive Committee members must participate in the monthly committee conference call, perform the duties of the Executive Committee position they are elected to (President, Past President, Incoming President, Treasure, Sectary) attend the annual committee retreat (preferred, not required), and lead/assist with additional assignments. The following is the nomination process:
- Consideration: To be considered you must first be a member of the Board of Directors.
- Call for nominations: When a position becomes available, a call for nominations will be put out to the current Board of Directors. Nominations can happen in two ways:
- Peer-nomination: Any current ITGA Board of Directors member may put forward a name of a candidate, who is also a current ITGA Board of Directors member, they believe would positively represent and advance the ITGA.
- Self-nomination: Any current ITGA Board of Directors member, who would positively represent and advance the ITGA, may put their name forward to the committee.
- Application: Current ITGA Board of Directors members who wish to be considered must submit a written response to the following questions (300 words max):
- Why are you interested in serving on the ITGA Executive Committee?
- What attributes would you bring to the Executive Committee?
- What contributions have you made to the ITGA organizations?
- What vision do you have for the ITGA organization as a member of the Executive Committee?
- Application deadline: Applications will be due within one month of the date provided through the call for nominations process. Only those applications received by the deadline date/time will receive full consideration by the nominating committee.
F. Onboarding Process
- Invitation: Board chair/ITGA President would contact the final candidate(s), by phone, to invite them to join the board. Upon acceptation, the ITGA Executive Director would contact the new member to welcome them to the board and discuss the organization in further detail and review the calendar of meetings.
- Board mentor: New board members would be assigned a seasoned board mentor who can answer questions, provide further organizational and board history, and help get the new member connected to others in the organization. Additional, the mentor would check in to ensure the successful transition of the new member.
- First board meeting: During the first board meeting for the new member, they will be welcomed and provided with an opportunity to share more about their background and interest in serving on the board. The new member’s mentor will help prepare them for the first board meeting and introduction.
- Committee assignment: The mentor will discuss with the new board member the various committees in which they can participate and contribute to. Based on discussions between the new board member and mentor, the mentor can help identify which committee the new member should be assigned.
- 6 month check-in: The ITGA President will setup a six month check-in at the time of the acceptance on to the board. During the selected period, the President will reach out to the new board member to see how things are going, if there are any questions, and conduct an assessment of their transition on to the board.
Any questions related to this process, please contact the ITGA Executive Director Beth Bagwell: email@example.com
Board of Directors Nomination Process Form